This recipe makes the perfect amount for a family of 4 or 5 (That is, 2 adults and kids). We didn’t have any leftovers and I got requests to make this again.
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped finely
4 cups chicken broth/stock
8 cups fresh broccoli florets (2 heads)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups skim milk (or any milk)
ground black pepper to taste
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and saute onion and celery until tender.
2. Add broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Scoop 3/4 of the soup into a blender. Pulse quickly a few times and scoop about half back into the pot.
4. Pulse the remaining soup in blender until pureed smoothly. Add soup back into pot. Stir.
5. In small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk.
6. Whisk until thick and bubbly, and then add to soup.
7. Stir and season with salt & pepper.
8. top with finely shredded cheddar cheese.