I bought TVP from a bin a bit back but didnt use it. At 5:00 one evening, I realized I should probably start thinking about dinner. It has been awhile since we had pasta so, pasta it was but we needed to amp up the health-part of it. Step in, TVP.
NOrmally, I have homemade sauce frozen and ready to go in my freezer. I haven’t had any lately, but have gotten some jarred sauces that have quality ingredients and make good starters. I soaked the TVP in the recipe below, added it the jarred sauce, heated, and put that atop our whole grain pasta. The kid RAVED about it and how it was the best sauce! Tons of protein, super low in fat, veggie servings, whole grains, and everyone loves it? SCORE!
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 cup broth **
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1. In a small pot (with a lid for later), add broth, soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, & garlic powder.
- 2. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in the TVP until all wet.
- 4. Put lid on pot & set aside for about 10 minutes while TVP fully rehydrates.
- ** Broth: veggie broth keeps it vegan but if one is only concerned with getting protein in in a healthy way, you can use a fat-free chicken broth as well.